Aug 28, 2017
David Potere is Co-founder and CEO of TellusLabs, a company that combines decades of
satellite imagery with machine learning to predict crop yields and
help its customers, which range from farmer to hedge fund
Get the full show notes at here.
If you like the show, you can subscribe to it on any podcast
app. Support us by leaving a review on iTunes, Apple Podcasts, or
Stitcher Radio. Reviews really help the show grow and allow
other people find the show, it only takes a minute.
- [02:55] Humble beginnings in satellite imagery from the Navy to
Boston Consulting Group.
- [09:34] The range of problems TellusLabs is solving for its
- [17:01] TellusLabs products Kernel vs Argus
- [19:01] Why satellite imagery now.
- [22:43] Training models with decades of satellite imagery data,
discussion of imagery quality.
- [29:49] USDA approach to forecasting and how TellusLabs
- [33:40] How approach to yield forecasting in U.S. differs from
- [35:11] Yield forecasting in Brazil and LatAm.
- [40:36] More on how customers are using these solutions, from
hedge funds to farmers.
- [51:52] Market size vs market potential for satellite imagery
- [55:36] Lessons learned building TellusLabs.
- [58:13] Boston startup ecosystem, distributed teams, startup